Water damage can be horrible for a homeowner to have to deal with. Water damage happens usually if a flood or a storm has hit the area. It may also happen if a water pipe has broken and water has flooded into the living area of the house. Whatever the cause might be, water damage restoration in Chicago and Arlington Heights should be started immediately afterwards. Here are some pointers to help.
- Turning off all water and electrical supply to the house is the first and foremost thing to do. This is very essential, especially if there are kids and pets around. Protection against electrical surge is very important because it can become very dangerous if one does not do so.
- Taking photographs is the next thing to do. This is a requirement if one has homeowners insurance and one plans to file a claim. Flood restoration in Chicago and Glenview has to be done and it can get expensive in a short time. Filing a claim with the insurance company will ensure that one does not have the finances to worry about. So taking as many photographs as possible to prove one’s case is essential and this should be done sooner than later.
- Protection of oneself as well as family members who are around is another important thing to do immediately. No one knows what festers in the flood water and so covering up in gumboots, waders or water-proof boots should happen immediately. The water may well have microbial contaminants or household sewage materials and being in contact with it can prove to be very unhealthy. Of course, one should not even think of eating the food that has been in contact with the water.
- One will want to drink water even when water damage restoration in Chicago and Arlington Heights is on and the safe bet would be to boil water before drinking to get rid of the contaminants. This is important until the water has been declared to be safe for drinking.
- Removing the water is the next on the list of things to do. Now this may well take a lot of time, and even days to do perfectly. Using a sump pump, it is possible to remove most of the water, but what happens to the water that has seeped through the walls and the flooring? It is extremely difficult to do it on one’s own.
Calling in professional flood restoration in Chicago and Glenview help is a good idea and the earlier this is done, the better it will be. What a professional company will do is that they will not just get rid of the water, they will also check for mold damage or structural damage that may have taken place and take steps to take care of it. They will have the proper equipment to ensure that the property is safe and running in as little time as possible and hence a homeowner who calls in for professional help is a smart homeowner.